Copyright © 2017 Lumina Media, LLC, All rights Reserved.
Our recipe pick is equal parts simple and seasonal.
Looking for a quick and easy dog treat recipe that works double duty? 100% vegan and gluten free, these frozen goodies can be stuffed into a Kong for a tasty summer treat, or warmed up and added to your dog’s bowl in winter.
1 Butternut Pumpkin
½ Tablespoon Freshly Ground Ginger
1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil
1. Preheat oven to 200 C / 390 F.
2. Wash pumpkin under cold running water. Peel and roughly slice into small pieces, ensuring to cut off and discard the ends.
3. Add pumpkin, ginger and coconut oil to an oven tray and toss gently until all pieces are coated.
4. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until softened, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Add pumpkin pieces to blender with ¼ cup water and puree until smooth. Add in more water as required to achieve your desired consistency.
6. Pour mixture into ice cube trays and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours or until frozen through.
7. When frozen, remove from ice cube trays and store in labeled Ziploc bags in freezer.
Makes approximately 20 treat cubes.
HANDY HINT: Does your dog have a sensitive stomach? The combination of the fiber rich pumpkin and ginger in this recipe promotes healthy digestion.
The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes or new additions to your dog’s diet.
Serena is a writer, television producer, and animal lover based in Sydney, Australia. She edits Pretty Fluffy, a site where dedicated animal lovers can find stylish products, modern advice, DIYs, and inspiration for living well with their pets.
Creating a profile and avatar
takes just a minute and is a great way to participate in Lucky Puppy community of people who are passionate about animals.